On Jan 31, 2008 4:53 PM, Steve Watkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mmm yes thats the sort of problem that I was gibbering about in post the
> other day, if
> comments and conversations are fragmented across multiple websites, how to
> piece that
> all back together again and present it in a sane way.

Consider this emphasis... that is exactly the big issue... not the
copyright issues and not the GUI issues for posting the videos.

> Youtube has it relatively easy due to their large audience, and being a
> walled garden.

Proprietary systems always have an initial advantage in this area...
but they immediately get entrenched. In actuality while youtube'
initial system was a huge leap forward it's now one of the biggest set
backs on the site... suffers from a lack of any further innovation.

In short youtube's video comments will be usurped widely by innovation
in the open space in the next few years.

> Meanwhile we see all sorts of innovative ways to do things with video
> commenting &
> conversations, but these features are often part of yet another new
> business/service, that
> struggles to attract enough users.

Exactly.  It's already widely being solved in the plain old blogging
space... as always we have only to look to our older wiser brother's
lead.

> The biggest social & conversational use of video on the net that I have seen
> so far, is
> people embedding videos that they did not make or publish to the web
> themselves, in
> their own blogs, forum posts, funwalls on facebook or wherever. Simple,
> crude, effective,
> limiting in all sorts of ways but easy enough to be done by lots of people.
> And another
> demonstration that although blogging & RSS feeds & aggregators brought many
> people to
> the party, the embedded flash video in the browser has been an absolutely
> massive part of
> the online video boom of recent years.

I agree... the widespread talking about videos wether embedded or
simply linked to on other blogs, user groups, sites, platforms, etc is
one of best forms of discussion... rather than the simple commenting
on on the original hosts site.

I HEART RECONTEXTUALIZATION.

Big time.

What's more... it's EXTREMELY simple to track these conversations with
a tracker across multiple blogs / vlogs.  The information is all in
the RSS. It's all floating around out there. It just requires someone
to mine it and present it in a great visual and trackable way.

There are MANY experiments like megite.com and techmeme.

Even mefeedia's channels which are modeled after Planet Planet
vlogs... simply binding together activity from multiple RSS feeds into
one channel... are a primitive experiment in this.

mefeedia's prime failing is it fails to display activity such as
comments, revlogging, and permalink references outside of the site
itself. To be blunt it's it's own little myopic world.

(Again, I'm not longer affiliated with mefeedia.)

> Cheers

Cheers indeed.

> Steve Elbows

-Mike of mmeiser.com :)