I reckon its because:

Unlike other religions it has a more blatant business model involving charging
for access
to their version of the holy scriptures.

It doesnt have the benefit of hundreds or thousands of years to obscure the
origins of the
texts. Having been a science fiction author does not help L Ron Hubbards score
on the
prophet credibility benchmark ;)

They have a very aggressive policy towards those that are against their faith,
L Rons
paranoia influenced his creation rather a lot it seems. Still they are more
likely to send you
a threatening legal letter than tie you to a chair ;)

They attack psychiatry in a very direct manner, and psychiatry is, along with
the
associated drugs, a large and protected industry in the US of A. If the things
about
Hubbard Ive read are even half true, it doesnt take long to see why he had it
in for
psychiatry, his personality reads like a long list of symptoms of mind illness.

There are not so many scientologists, or nations wedded to scientology, to give
them the
power that quite a few religions enjoy. If a presidential candidate attacked
them, he would
not lose his base. Kids arent indoctrinated about them in schools, arent taught
to tollerate
them, or to see their beliefs as less crazy and creepy, or more 'genuinely
spiritual',
whatever that means.

They havent got the 'one god' thing going for them. I know sci-fi has gone down
well in
recent decades, boy how I dont miss the 90's alien conspiracy obsessions for
example, but
its not yet proven to be a sound foundation for a credible modern religion.

I dont know of any other religions that have questionnaires that ask whether
you speak
slowly.

One thing they do have in common with other religions is being involved in the
drug rehab
business. I dont know much about their program, the wikipedia entry makes
interesting
reading. My favorite religious drug rehab story was about some other, more
established
church that benefitted from Bush's Faith Based initiatives  thing. They were
supposed to
be treating some people, and got busted because they were actually making them
work as
telesales callers promoting the faith.

I got myself a satellite dish so I could look at all the religious channels
that have emerged
in recent years in the UK. Well, scientology aint the only religious business
thats for sure.
Mmm there are some good Frank Zappa songs about this sort of thing, Im off to
listen to
some.

Just remember, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster will set you free.
Pastafarianism, hehe.

Cheers

Steve Elbows