I think that yes, there are more users of online video than ever, I
just wonder how many of those people though are really interested in
user generated content, on a mass adoption level.  I mean let's face
it, if Google can't figure out a way to make money off YouTube, then
all the VC money with these other companies are going to dry up.  It
will happen.  I think most of the people who are online watching
video's want to see professional content....I hope I am wrong, but I
fear that I'm not....

Heath
http://batmangeek.com
http://heathparks.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Roxanne Darling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Fascinating Heath - thank you for posting it.  It may be one of the
> harbingers of the bursting bubble of internet video.
> The main thing I see different between this bubble and the first
bubble, is
> that back then, it was the creators who got the investors all
excited about
> their ideas.  Now, it is the users who are driving demand.  There
still is
> an absence of many sustainable finance models, but to me there is a
huge
> difference between a few geeks with "cool" ideas and millions of
users
> demanding their daily fix of video.  Think of the research value the
> political campaigns are getting from being to search all the old
stuff
> (embarrassing speeches) that are steadily being posted online.
>
> Aloha,
>
> Rox
>

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 7:17 AM, Patrick Delongchamp
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >   Interesting indeed.
> >
> > I couldn't believe how badly they botched Google Video. They never
> > should have had to buy Youtube in the first place.
> >
> > I'm surprised though that Youtube isn't bringing in much money.
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Heath
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]<heathparks%40msn.com>>
> [...]
wanted up
> > > there and no one would say a word because, well, it was
practically
> > > bankrupt and copyright owners knew they wouldn't get anything
out of
> > > a lawsuit? Those were the days, weren't they?
> > >
> > > Now, after a $1.65 billion buyout by Google, YouTube is not
only a
> > > veritable junkyard for all the crap we didn't watch a couple
years
> > > ago, but a bloated mess that costs too much to operate, has a
huge
> > > lawyer target on it, and barely incurs revenue.
> > >
> > > And to make matters worse, Eric Schmidt, the CEO of Google, has
no
> > > idea what to do about it.
> > >
> > > Speaking to The New Yorker, Schmidt said that it "seemed
obvious"
> > > that Google should be able to generate "significant amounts of
money"
> > > from YouTube, but so far, it has no idea what to do.
> > >
> > > "The goal for YouTube is to build a tremendous community....In
the
> > > case of YouTube we might be wrong," he said. "We have enough
leverage
> > > that we have the leverage of time. We can invest for scale and
not
> > > have to make money right now, he said. Hopefully our system and
> > > judgment is good enough if something is not going to pay out,
we can
> > > change it."
> > >
> > > But is changing it really the best idea? Since Google acquired
> > > YouTube, the company has tried desperately to make something,
> > > anything, from its $1.65 billion investment, but so far, it has
> > > failed miserably. Of course, it thinks that 'pre- and post-roll'
> > > advertisements may work, but the company isn't too sure.
> > >
> > > And therein lies the rub. If Google is unsure of how it can
turn a
> > > profit on YouTube and it still has no idea if it will be able
to get
> > > a return on its investment, why shouldn't it cut its losses and
do
> > > something drastically different?
> > >
> > > Now I know that you're probably thinking that I've lost it and
my
> > > editor overlords will finally put me out to pasture, but think
about
> > > it for a minute: why should a company that overpaid for a
service
> > > continue to dump significant amounts of cash into it (not to
mention
> > > spend millions on copyright lawsuits) if it has no chance of
creating
> > > a valuable revenue stream?
> > >
> > > Obviously Schmidt is doing all he can to allay shareholder
fears over
> > > the YouTube debacle, but the very fact that he said anything
about it
> > > is telling. And to make matters worse, Google's ad revenue on
YouTube
> > > is so low, it's not even material to the financial statements.
In
> > > other words, if Google is making anything with YouTube, it
doesn't
> > > even matter.
> > >
> > > Let's face it -- the YouTube acquisition was a major blunder and
> > > regardless of how successful the company is in other areas,
there's
> > > no reason to suggest advertisers are willing and ready to place
> > > on videos of 18-year olds shooting milk out their nose or 80-
year old
> > > men mooning a parade.
> > >
> > > As far as I can tell, much of the online advertising money is
going
> > > to sites like Hulu where the content is controlled, the shows
are
> > > regulated, and the demographics of the audience are easily
obtained.

> > > How does YouTube and its content compare? The audience is huge,
but
> > > it's filled with a diverse set of people who generally view a
select
> > > few of the more popular videos; the videos are barely
regulated; and
> > > the content isn't controlled in the least. Why should any
advertiser
> > > want to send cash to a service like that?
> > >
> > > Now I understand that Google wants to be a major part of the
boom in
> > > online video advertising and I can't blame the company for it.
But
> > > doesn't it understand the average company that's trying to make
> > > people want a given product? It's as if Google believes that
sheer
> > > popularity is the only factor that advertisers use before they
start
> > > throwing cash around.
> > >
> > > But what about perception or target audience? Did Google forget
about
> > > hitting the right market segment or putting ads in the right
place at
> > > the right time?
> > >
> > > Now, I should note that this doesn't mean that YouTube won't
find
> > > itself advertisers. Certainly there are companies that would be
more
> > > than happy to spend money on YouTube, but what kind exactly?
Will
> > > YouTube become the dump of advertising where strip clubs and
brothels
> > > will advertise on sexually-oriented videos and unknown
politicians
> > > will sell themselves on left- or right-leaning clips? I
certainly
> > > don't see Johnson and Johnson sending ad dollars to YouTube
anytime
> > > soon.
> > >
> > > Lost amid the shuffle, though, is the question of ad dollars
itself.
> > > How does Google monetize YouTube on videos that you create?
Sure, it