I think that is really one of the greatest failures of YouTube, how
to deal with all those really nasty comments.  I will be honest, I
can't for the life of me understand why more people don't do
something about it.  Some of the stuff left as comments are vile,
just vile....maybe it really is just a small percentage, but it
doesn't seem like it.

Heath
http://batmangeek.com
http://heathparks.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Great point.
> But I'm not sure they'd continue elsewhere - it hasn't happened so
> far.  I think the only reason the haters are so prolific on
Youtube
> [...]
>  > a lawsuit? Those were the days, weren't they?
>  >
>  > Now, after a $1.65 billion buyout by Google, YouTube is not only
>  > veritable junkyard for all the crap we didn't watch a couple
years
>  > ago, but a bloated mess that costs too much to operate, has a
huge
>  > lawyer target on it, and barely incurs revenue.
>  >
>  > And to make matters worse, Eric Schmidt, the CEO of Google, has
no
>  > idea what to do about it.
>  >
>  > Speaking to The New Yorker, Schmidt said that it "seemed obvious"
>  > that Google should be able to generate "significant amounts of
money"
>  > from YouTube, but so far, it has no idea what to do.
>  >
>  > "The goal for YouTube is to build a tremendous community....In
the
>  > case of YouTube we might be wrong," he said. "We have enough
leverage
>  > that we have the leverage of time. We can invest for scale and
not
>  > have to make money right now, he said. Hopefully our system and
>  > judgment is good enough if something is not going to pay out, we
can
>  > change it."
>  >
>  > But is changing it really the best idea? Since Google acquired
>  > YouTube, the company has tried desperately to make something,
>  > anything, from its $1.65 billion investment, but so far, it has
>  > failed miserably. Of course, it thinks that 'pre- and post-roll'
>  > advertisements may work, but the company isn't too sure.
>  >
>  > And therein lies the rub. If Google is unsure of how it can turn
>  > profit on YouTube and it still has no idea if it will be able to
get
>  > a return on its investment, why shouldn't it cut its losses and
do
>  > something drastically different?
>  >
>  > Now I know that you're probably thinking that I've lost it and my
>  > editor overlords will finally put me out to pasture, but think
about
>  > it for a minute: why should a company that overpaid for a service
>  > continue to dump significant amounts of cash into it (not to
mention
>  > spend millions on copyright lawsuits) if it has no chance of
creating
>  > a valuable revenue stream?
>  >
>  > Obviously Schmidt is doing all he can to allay shareholder fears
over
>  > the YouTube debacle, but the very fact that he said anything
about it
>  > is telling. And to make matters worse, Google's ad revenue on
YouTube
>  > is so low, it's not even material to the financial statements. In
>  > other words, if Google is making anything with YouTube, it
doesn't
>  > even matter.
>  >
>  > Let's face it -- the YouTube acquisition was a major blunder and
>  > regardless of how successful the company is in other areas,
there's
>  > no reason to suggest advertisers are willing and ready to place
>  > on videos of 18-year olds shooting milk out their nose or 80-
year old
>  > men mooning a parade.
>  >
>  > As far as I can tell, much of the online advertising money is
going
>  > to sites like Hulu where the content is controlled, the shows are
>  > regulated, and the demographics of the audience are easily
obtained.
>  >
>  > How does YouTube and its content compare? The audience is huge,
but
>  > it's filled with a diverse set of people who generally view a
select
>  > few of the more popular videos; the videos are barely regulated;
and
>  > the content isn't controlled in the least. Why should any
advertiser
>  > want to send cash to a service like that?
>  >
>  > Now I understand that Google wants to be a major part of the
boom in
>  > online video advertising and I can't blame the company for it.
But
>  > doesn't it understand the average company that's trying to make
>  > people want a given product? It's as if Google believes that
sheer
>  > popularity is the only factor that advertisers use before they
start
>  > throwing cash around.
>  >
>  > But what about perception or target audience? Did Google forget
about
>  > hitting the right market segment or putting ads in the right
place at
>  > the right time?
>  >
>  > Now, I should note that this doesn't mean that YouTube won't find
>  > itself advertisers. Certainly there are companies that would be
more
>  > than happy to spend money on YouTube, but what kind exactly? Will
>  > YouTube become the dump of advertising where strip clubs and
brothels
>  > will advertise on sexually-oriented videos and unknown
politicians
>  > will sell themselves on left- or right-leaning clips? I certainly
>  > don't see Johnson and Johnson sending ad dollars to YouTube
anytime
>  > soon.
>  >
>  > Lost amid the shuffle, though, is the question of ad dollars
itself.
>  > How does Google monetize YouTube on videos that you create?
Sure, it