I did another test (haven't published it anywhere). This time, I did
everything I mentioned below, but did NOT check the letterbox box. After
exporting, the mp4 video is stretched, and has the black letterbox lines top
and bottom.

Is 640x360 not a standard size or something?

David King
davidleeking.com - blog
davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Brook Hinton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   That would have given you a letterboxed image in a 640 x 480 frame -
> but I just opened the clip in quicktime and it's 640 x 360, not 640 x
> 480.
>
> Personally, I would export it as 640 x 360 - just as you did - but
> don't turn letterboxing on. That should give you a widescreen box
> filled with a widescreen image.
>
> Brook
>
>
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 11:51 AM, David King <[EMAIL 
> PROTECTED]<davidleeking%40gmail.com>>
> wrote:
> > ok... I used the Sanyo Xacti HD1A. The source video was 1280X720, 30 fps
> mp4
> > video. I edited in FCE, then chose export using quicktime compression,
> and
> > did this:
> >
> > - under format, chose mpeg-4 and clicked options
> > - chose mp4 under file format
> > - chose h.264 under video format
> > - did the 640x480 image size (chose custom)
> > - clicked the preserve aspect ratio using letterbox checkbox
> >
> > My ultimate goal is to get the video onto my blog and my iphone.
> >
> > Am I doing this right?
> >
> > David King
> > davidleeking.com - blog
> > davidleeking.com/etc - videoblog
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Brook Hinton <[EMAIL 
> > PROTECTED]<bhinton%40gmail.com>>
> wrote:
> >
> >> 640x360 IS 16:9. It doesn't need to be letterboxed. It will be a
> >> widescreen frame. The additional pillarbox in this file is probably
> >> there because fitting a 16:9 frame inside a LETTERBOX inside another
> >> 16:9 frame makes it smaller on all sides.
> >>
> >> But to know EXACTLY what happened we need to know:
> >>
> >> Is the source sequence or file 16:9? or 4:3 with a letterboxed image?
> >> Or something else? And what format?
> >>
> >> Letterboxing is only used if you are trying to fit a 16:9 image in a
> >> 4:3 frame while preserving the full image (e.g., putting an anamorphic
> >> DV source inside a standard 4:3 image).
> >>
> >> Brook
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________________
> >> Brook Hinton
> >> film/video/audio art
> >> www.brookhinton.com
> >> studio vlog/blog: www.brookhinton.com/temporalab
> >>
> >>
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
>
> --
> _______________________________________________________
> Brook Hinton
> film/video/audio art
> www.brookhinton.com
> studio vlog/blog: www.brookhinton.com/temporalab
>  
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to