They try this, they won't know what hit them.

I like how the article says Canada is a good test case because
Canadians are more laissez faire and less politically motivated.  Not
my experience of Canada so far.  They might seem laid back, but poke
them with a stick and they're like hornets.  And people here seem
more reliant on the internet for communication and information than
those in countries with greater population density.

Britain would be a better test case.  People are less gung ho about
new technology & computers there.  Except there are 1000s of ISPs,
and they all compete to offer more freedom and goodies.

And even in Britain, when 3 mobile tried to do this with internet
access on their 3G phones in England, it didn't work and they had to
open it up so they could compete with Vodafone & O2.  AOL died in the
UK for much the same reason.

Wherever it's tried where there's competition, it won't work.  Where
I am on Vancouver Island, Telus and Shaw compete pretty aggressively
with both rival ADSL & Cable services available to most households.
Whoever tries to introduce this kind of bullshit will lose most of
their customers to a competitor who offers a better deal.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv