On 23 Jul 2008, at 10:50, Rupert wrote:

> I just used YouTube's new Annotations tool to create a little
> interactive videoblog story, created very quickly with my phone.
> Exciting that this kind of thing is possible so easily.
>
> You can only see it on YouTube - here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtQg_LCq_T8&fmt=18

Nice one Rupert - an entertaining example of what used to be called
"interruptible video" back in the last century. Interruptible because
it's only interactive in the sense that we choose the next narrative
snippet.

Unfortunately, when done poorly, this narrative form picked up the
moniker "irritainment", since the main attraction of video/tv/film is
that we surrender our decision-making faculties to the film-maker and
enter into a trance-like reverie - and the requirement to make a
decision at each step interrupts our involvement in the film's world.

As you probably also discovered, making these kinds of films quickly
leads us to the "garden of forking paths" as Borges described it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_Forking_Paths

In my experience, this makes narrative resolution extremely
difficult. Of course, many videoblogs have no resolution, so perhaps
this could work for such open-ended narrative structures after all.

Look forward to your further experiments!

Cheers,

Christian