FWIW at Smashface we had a G-Tech 160gb drive that died after only a few weeks 
- RMA'd 
for a replacement drive that ended up being flaky, too. They are good looking 
drives, but 
I'm not too keen on them.

If you're looking for something a little more robust, flexible, etc take a look 
at Drobo:
http://drobo.com/Products/drobo.html

Rick


--- In [email protected], "Brook Hinton" <bhin...@...> wrote:
>
> G-Tech does have a good rep these days but they are pricey. All FW drives
> are fragile and they all die. All brands. The infamous failed-within-a-month
> phenom affects a small percentage of them all - warranties and backups are
> important. There are still people who swear by Lacie. Generally people swear
> by the last drive they've tried. Until it fails, then they hate THAT brand.
> The only downside to a MBP for FCP Studio is slow rendering time compared to
> a new tower. Compared to a G5 they scream though.
> 
> Downside for After Effects is 4GB max ram.
> 
> Other than that they're great. I edit HD prores on mine all the time, and
> even do color correction for clients (with additional outboard gear) with
> one.
> 
> If you plan on doing a lot of work in Color (meaning the app), though, a
> tower is worth the bother.
> 
> Brook
> 
> 
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 2:14 AM, David Terranova
> <da...@...>wrote:
> 
> >   I vaguely remember a similar discussion a few months ago... but I steer
> > clear of Lacie. 2 of mine failed and several friends have had the same
> > problem.
> > When speaking our hardware support company, they advised me to avoid them
> > completely, I think they¹ve actually stopped selling them because they got
> > so many customers sending them back.
> > They strongly recommend using G-tech which is considered a lot more
> > industrial than the home-use drives such as lacie. So I know own a G-Raid
> > which works perfectly with fcp on my macbook.
> >
> > --
> > David Terranova
> > www.davidterranova.com | blog.davidterranova.com | www.rebelrave.tv
> >
> > From: Irene Duma <ir...@... <irene%40strangeduck.com>>
> > Reply-To: "[email protected] <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>"
> > <[email protected] <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>>
> > Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:47:46 -0330
> > To: <[email protected] <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>>
> > Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Re: Macbook pro for video editing
> >
> >
> > Cool. I think then the macbook pro will be a sweet treat as long as my G5
> > will hold out. Having the 2 would be good - to speed up Quicktime
> > conversion.
> >
> > Oh, what size should I get. I have a 17 inch PC laptop. It¹s pretty big and
> > heavy and though I love the screen size, portability is lost. So many
> > decisions.
> >
> > I used to have good luck with Lacie harddrives ­ but I just got a 1
> > Terrabyte Porsche on sale really cheap at Futureshop and it has caused my
> > Mac to crash on numerous occasions. I think it blew something ­ it¹s acting
> > weird. I tried to run Onyx and it said I need to repair the start up disc.
> > I
> > don¹t know how to do that, so need to call someone in because I have enough
> > stuff to learn and that kind of stuff scares me. I am now thinking of
> > upgrading to Leopard. Does that make sense. Or do I have to repair the disk
> > first?
> >
> > Argh. I only like computers when they work ;)
> >
> > Oh, and thanks for your reply. Will check newegg.
> >
> >
> > Irene
> >
> > I use a MacBook Pro for all of my editing. But I'll soon be upgrading
> > to a MacPro tower. My MBP is a couple of years old but still reliably
> > handles Final Cut Pro and my HD footage. It's not the fastest of the
> > bunch, but it does its job. A brand new MBP should be fine, so long as
> > you don't need to do much rendering or effects work. You can only
> > upgrade the RAM so much on the laptops, they eventually fizzle out in
> > terms of abilities to tackle HD, etc. after a couple years and there's
> > no upgrade path for them.
> >
> > The G5 should actually be enough, provided you have some good RAM in
> > there, for HD needs. I don't recommend any heavy duty editing on a
> > laptop because, like me, you'll get tied into so many external drives
> > and devices that being mobile is the furthest thing from your mind. :)
> >
> > I've had good luck with Lacie external drives -- knock on wood. I have
> > four so far and they are all running great. Price and performance
> > tends to be good for them. There are some other more expensive models
> > that have more solid track records. Check out Newegg.com and list
> > models by rating and read some customer reviews. Good luck!
> >
> > Dom
> > http://blog.gadzookfilms.com
> > http://twitter.com/gadzook
> > http://store.gadzookfilms.com
> >
> > .
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >  
> >
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> _______________________________________________________
> Brook Hinton
> film/video/audio art
> www.brookhinton.com
> studio vlog/blog: www.brookhinton.com/temporalab
> 
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>



Reply via email to