Just sounds like its the older version with the matte instead of glossy
screen.
For pro work, glossy sucks. So you may be better off with this older version
than a new one.

On the other hand its always better to buy from Apple if you can because
there's so much less hassle if you have to return a machine: you have a
certain window where you can return instead of apple-caring a screwed up
unit. This saved me immense hassle and expense when I had one of the early
hissing-spitting-noise macbook pros, since apple would not acknowledge this
as a defect and hence wouldn't cover it via applecare or even repair it at
all since it was "within spec". I returned it and bought another one
instead, which didn't have the problem.

Brook