ning could work. I'm on a couple of ning sites (we make zines & subversive
knitting) & they work quite well. I never check facebook groups unless
someone directs me. but ning sends me an email for some of the posts so I
check more often. plus it's prob easier for someone to manage? (admin wise)

drupal is good too if someone has time to set it up. I'd prob vote ning as
first pick