Well you are certainly correct that I am not from the US so my knowledge is
somewhat limited, however I have witnessed enough ranting and drooling on the
net about related issues in the past to have some vague idea about the kind of
arguments that are made to support the special brand of capitalist freedom that
many on that side of the pond seem to get excited about.

Indignation about the idea that the government would regulate the web in any
way does not get much sympathy from me when it is applied very broadly.
Existing laws prevent people from doing all sorts of things on the web without
the sky falling in. You cant stir up violence or call for murder or bloody
revolution or sell quack devices or illegal drugs or indulge in complete fraud
or child porn without falling foul of the law. The web has never been an
unregulated new wild west, despite the hyperbole of some.

I also dont buy into the idea that this will bury people in paperwork or legal
fee's or whatever, these are guidelines which simply require people who indulge
in commercial activity to consider disclosure and ethical issues properly
instead of only being guided by their own moral compass. Good.

The global nature of the web certainly complicates issues such as these but I
doubt it will cause too many issues in this case.

Certainly I feel that noble ideas about self-regulation, codes of conducts, the
blogosphere policing itself because those who do not disclose will ultimately
fall foul of public backlash and will soil their own brand are all well and
good, but just as with wider notions of industry self-regulation, I raise my
eyebrows and feel it is not enough.

Anyways Im sure the last thing this group needs is for me to take us back to
the bad old days where my loud opinionating and sometimes harsh tone lead to
headaches and a giant waste of peoples time, so I shall zip my cakehole now.

Cheers

Steve Elbows