> Thanks a lot for forwarding my email (to Joly - who?) and telling a bit about
> the early days. It's really helpful for my research because I hadn't been
> interested in web-videos at that time. Actually, I hadn't known about it
> before there was a local offer (just a >platform with videos) for the town I
> lived in.

Joly started Punkcast.com and has good stories recording NYC punk
shows in audio/video starting in late 90's.
Good article about him:
http://www.villagevoice.com/2003-10-28/news/bootlegger-s-banquet/1

> General, web-tv is not too famous in Germany. Mostly, I have the feeling it's
> still an American trend (anyway, especially in tech-stuff, Europe is round
> about 4 years behind the US they say)...
> That's a really, really good question for social science or cultural
> anthropology if and why citizens of some societies are more interested in
> showing their everyday lifeā€¦
> But on the other hand the mainstream reality tv is quite famous in Germany,
> even though I think it goes down in some time. (It has been so long the
> favourite of the tv networks... )
> But blogs are different. I think for a society blog and videoblog are a good
> way for real self-assurance.
> Why is it less usual in Germany (assumed it is like that): Maybe blogs are
> associated with narcissism. Also, we have a more or less strict liability to
> criticism. So with a Videoblog you are really vulnerable.. Just spontaneous
> speculation! What do you think?

One way is to see people in the United States as narcissistic. Very
very true in many ways. But I like to think that many of us are more
open and craving community that was stripped out of US society the
past century. It might not always come across in healthy ways, but
"open" makes more sense than "narcissistic". Making it up as we go
along. Tear down the castles.

Peter Van Dijck, from Belgian, actually started this group when he
lived in NYC. He always told me that Americans were much more "in your
face" and he liked it.

> Can you tell me if the vogma manifesto was discussed within this group? I
> haven't found a wide discussion about it. Strange, if I >had been there I
> would have had the necessity to discuss it in detail. A pity, five years too
> late ;-D.

Yes, Adrian Miles was one of the first members of the group. We
discussed his Vogma Manifesto (http://vogmae.net.au/drupal/vog/tbd),
though I dont think he found the most responsive audience to his
academic leanings. We were (are?) a lot of riff raff. In 2005, Michael
Verdi made the Vlog Anarchy manifesto in response here
(http://michaelverdi.com/2005/02/20/vlog-anarchy/).

I think a lot of us just starting making stuff instead of figuring out
how to define it. But I have a side of me that likes to say "this is
this". Both are good at appropriate times.

There's another group that sprung out of this one that focuses on
dreamy tech and academic discussions:
http://groups.google.com/group/artists-in-the-cloud

Jay

--