Hi Tom,

You mentioned the Sanyo's and their Xacti line is a big hit with many on this
list and I'm one of them.

To get an external mic you can go with the VPC-HD2000 which has a street price
of $500 new (I think they listed for around $800). I really am a huge fan of
the Xacti pistol grip format and I've used their entry level 720p offering the
VPC-CG10 (sorry, no ext mic) to great satisfaction. Just last week I picked up
an older VPC-HD1000 (does have ext mic) for $255 off eBay with lots of nice
accessories (like a wide angle lens).

I know a lot of people love the Canons. I believe Flash based units like the
Canon Vixia HF200 are very good and in the price range of $550 street.

Which leads me to a follow on question for the group. These HD videocameras
need nice fast SDHC cards. Which ones have worked best for you?

Theoretically any modern Flash based HD camera should be shooting through a
Class 6 or better card. I've read lots of good things about Class 10 cards and
after pouring through reviews settled on the Patriot LX series. The 8GB unit is
only $26 but really hard to find in stock. 16GB in the Patriot goes for $46 and
is widely available. I hear that the Patriots compare very favorably with the
Sandisk Extreme's which go for over double the price. Any experiences with
Class 6 and Class 10 SDHC cards to share?

/julian

---
Julian Seery Gude
jul...@exceler8.com
{561} 584-9088 or {skype} exceler8
LOCALNa8ion.com and exceler8.com
On the web: http://www.google.com/profiles/JulianSeeryGude

On Jan 25, 2010, at 11:43 PM, Tom Dolan wrote:

> Hey Vid-folk,
>
> I had an interesting idea and I want to run it by you. A local but
> large pro camera shop might take in trade, a complete Pentax 35mm
> outfit. Xcellent condition, lenses, motor, etc... towards something
> else. I won't get what I think it's worth but I might be offered enuf
> to let it go. Now,
>
> Here's the conundrum: at different price levels starting lo and ending
> at about $6/800..(OK so I'm optimistic), what would you suggest I
> consider? It's got to work with iMac-iMovie'09, have an external mic,
> and I prefer flash memory over tape/hard-drive. BTW, I was surprised
> to see a Sanyo model mentioned here several times. I don't see them
> featured on the review sites, usually the same canon/sony/pana/etc
> stuff. My 1st 16mm camera was a Sanyo and it was pretty good.
>
> So what video cameras would YOU trade the 35mm system for? and I'm not
> into the Flip style camera for now.
>
> Go for it...and Thanx.
>
> Tom Dolan
> tomjdo...@gmail.com