Well, in the case of the restaurant, is the visual clearly showing the setting.
If so, I would say some subtle restaurant sound in the background will help
sell the story of the location.

now ideally, you would want to capture the speaking talent in the quietest
situation possible, and later (or earlier) record some b-roll audio of
restaurant sound to lay into your timeline. That way you have ultimate control.

If that is not possible, very likely, then just try to get as far away from the
kitchen or the noisiest part of the location and get a uni directional mic as
close as possible to the talent. A uni will reject a surprising amount of
otherwise audible sound from anything not directly in the range of its response
pattern - that is, directly in front of it.

Good luck, sounds like a challenge. But leave yourself plenty of time to set up
and test. I was recently rushed by a busy CEO who had little time to spare and
I ended up getting very poor audio as i had no time to get properly set up.
Very disappointing, as i know with an extra few minutes I could have listened
to the recording and fine tuned the room.

Adam Mercado
Influxx Media Production