Dennis said:

And my feelings when UCLA includes in this release, "foreign-language films for
linguistic and foreign-language courses" as permissible is something I object
to in several different ways..... 3) They're implying that only foreign
language films have a role in education and/or that they're not "real"
entertainment for anybody outside the classroom. I know this is an absolute
contradiction with my two first two objections, but I did find this
objectionable in terms of how foreign films are seen by the public.

That's not the implication, I think, any more than studying any authentic
materials or works of art or even works of pop culture are confined to
education. Reading Camus (or comic books, which is more likely these days) does
not imply that these items are important only for education; examining
government or business websites for a business class does not imply that the
sites were created with foreign students in mind.

A better analogy is the required reading list, by means of which you have the
students purchase a uniform edition of the texts to be read. You are not
supposed to scan everything and put it into a course management system (and it
would not be pleasant for the students if you did). If it's a film course, a
Netflix subscription might work well as part of the "required texts."

I can see though that even Netflix might not be ready to offer all the films
involved in some foreign language courses. I am thinking of a Chinese film
course for which I recently accessioned some videos--some of them were not easy
to find.

NB the one type of material you can't use for distance ed is material developed
to teach the particular course, which the students should be buying, e.g. the
film textbook itself or short films accompanying a textbook not being used in
the classroom.

Judy Shoaf