On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 1:29 PM, <ghand...@library.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I've been in this biz close to 30 years and have virtually never seen a
> title which has gone out of distribution for any period of time come back
> in another format.  It simply doesn't happen.

Gary. No reflection on the rest of the argument, but even if you're just
counting "educational" titles, off the top of my head, we've done or in the
process of doing new versions of:

PEOPLE OF THE WIND
YOU GOT TO MOVE
BLACK ROOTS
WORD IS OUT
BUNKER HILL 1956
GODS OF BALI
AND NOW, MIGUEL

and we are not known as an educational distributor. I would suspect that WMM
and Icarus are doing quite a bit. And of course, archivists are now
interested in these kind of films so they are being preserved.

In terms of the title in question, there is no way in heck I'd do a new
version and I suspect other distributors would agree. But just because it's
downloaded or available elsewhere, that doesn't mean it's PD.

As for the rest of the argument, I'm out of it. I got too much going on at
the moment and I know at least half of this is semantics.

--
Best,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video/Milliarium Zero