Hi Andrew,

1) Preservation -  If a user complains about a problem, we will run VHS
through the TapeChek machine to detect problems and to clean.

2) Only conversion of VHS to DVD and/or  streaming so far is of ones that
were created at our institution (so we hold copyright)

3) Replacement - we buy DVD copies of VHS materials (and LD too, more of a
headache). To prioritize we replace things that have been put on Media
Reserve & also those items w/ very high circulation rates.

4) We weed from time-to-time, mostly when we replace w/ DVD or VCD format.
>From time-to-time, we weed to get rid of what we consider more ephemeral
works, for example last spring we weeded about a dozen VHS  title that
were how-to-use videos for things like Lotus 1-2-3 and WordPerfect 5.0.

5) No need to persuade selectors, I am the selector. The number one
constraint on our replacement is budget; the second constraint is that
some titles we would like to replace are not in the market.

Regards,

Victoria Caplan
HKUST Library
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
http://library.ust.hk