In a dimly remembered, pre-media life (1979 to 1984), I WAS the assistant
head/Acting Head of Acquisitions at UCB (really!), so I know the ropes
(or, at least, I knew them 25 years ago).  I DO know that Tech Services
ARE public services:  if the stuff don't get cataloged, it don't get used.

gary

> "What do I think?  I think I'd be in the office of the Head of Technical
> Services quicker than you can say MARC delimited.  Since when do
> catalogers get to call the shots about the parts of the collection that
> deserve priority access (or that get sent to bibliographic Siberia)?
> Since when is bibliographic difficulty a measure of what gets cataloged?
> Besides:  I'd wager a very large portion of your acquisitions have copy in
> one form or another...what's the big deal.  Even the FMG digital stuff
> probably has at least passable OCLC copy.
> You need to kick ass, girl!"
>
> To borrow a line from Big Audio Dynamite, "God I love it when you're
> domineering!"
>
> I'm afraid that there are several institutions in which the catalogers get
> a say in, if not exactly calling the shots for, what gets cataloged and in
> what order. And bibliographic difficulty, at least where video materials
> are concerned is a valid concern if not exactly an example of the service
> ethic expected of professionals. Time equals money and a lot of cataloging
> operations are constantly under the gun for spending too much time/money
> on selected items. Cataloging video material materials can be, depending
> on the library's technical requirements for fullness of records, very
> time-consuming, generally much moreso than books. However, if the Tech
> Services Dept. will (or is allowed to) countenance less-than-comprehensive
> records for some materials in the catalog, doing brief records can save
> time while still creating access in the catalog. As to OCLC copy, in my
> experience records for video materials need a lot more checking and
> tweaking if your cataloging standards are set as high as a lot of academic
> libraries like to set them. Verifying name authority, for instance, for
> films can take a lot longer than doing so for books just because of the
> number of contributors likely to be traced. If comprehensive name
> authority is not a necessity, however (and it's not in OCLC), tracings may
> become a simple matter of typing.
>
> Maureen, I'd enjoy hearing how you come out on this. And Gary, I'm glad
> I'm not the Head of Technical Services at Berkeley.
>

> Mike Tribby
> Senior Cataloger
> Quality Books Inc.
> The Best of America's Independent Presses
>
> mailto:mike.tri...@quality-books.com

Director
Media Resources Center
Moffitt Library