Hi All,

I do not work in an academic setting, but this issue has always irked me as
a public librarian.  Since finishing library school, I have worked for three
different library systems of three different sizes, but have experienced the
same issue at all three of them.  Namely, the AV materials are consistently
placed at the back of the line for priority.  And perhaps even more so than
in an academic setting, AV materials easily comprise 40-50 percent (or more)
of overall circulation in most public libraries, yet they continue to be
ignored and discounted as to their intrinsic worth to the system.  Recently,
I have had to tell several different patrons that AV materials I had ordered
four months or more prior were not yet available for their use.  I have gone
so far as to ask (beg) the head of technical services to send the items to
me so I could catalog/process them, but to no avail.

Very frustrating.

Blane Halliday
Collier County Public Library
Branch Manager, Vanderbilt Beach Library
788 Vanderbilt Beach Road
Naples, Florida 34108
Phone:  (239) 597-8444
Fax:  (239) 597-3653