Matt,

We have our DVDs and videos classed by LC numbers.
Pros: does get them ordered by subject, making them browseable. Con: Yes, call
numbers tend to be too similar. Would not recommend LC for closed stacks.

Something we (meaning: the AV cataloger, not me) did here was to class the
feature films within the literature schedule, using Director as Author.
You still have a whole lotta P's, but it spaces them out and away from PN1997.
Organization is by Country of origin of the director, Director, Title.
Result is that films are essentially sorted by language and then alphabetized
by director's name.  (Occasional goofiness: Brokeback Mountain is filed with
the Asian films because Ang Lee directed.)
TV shows are still clustered together.

Another option for you might be to use something like the ANSCR music
classification system --
It uses abbreviations to class by genre and then artist/composer.

Barb Bergman | Media Services & Interlibrary Loan Librarian | Minnesota State
University, Mankato | (507) 389-5945 | barbara.berg...@mnsu.edu