you're completely missing the point and the intent of 108, Jessica.  108
is in no way limited to rarities...it's aimed at conserving items at risk
of disintegration, regardless of how scarce, if conditions are met.

You're also misreading the Mellon project (despite my best efforts to
clarify).  The project involves developing very careful best practices for
due diligence in determining the availability of items suspected of being
out of distribution.

The alternative to letting valuable,legally acquired filmd fall apart and
rot because you can't buy a replacement simply is not acceptable.

gary

> [...]
> of 5 known copies of film put out by an artist collective in 1977 and
> Sam Fullers out of print CHINA GATE or a title that is owned by Cinema
> Guild or California Newsreel that has a defective master which would
> cost them thousands to be able fix and release something they once had
> out I doubt it.
>

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 4:10 PM,  <ghand...@library.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>> You're picking at nits, Jessica...and you're making me itch.
>>
>> This project is aimed at developing ways to identify portions of a
>> standing library video collection that are likely to be 1) at some
>> physical risk of deterioration or destruction 2) Not currently available
>> for purchase in any format.  Again, the focus is primarily on titles
>> which
>> were initially available commercially.
>>
>> NYU, for their part, seems to be focusing on titles which are scarcely
>> held in US libraries.  I'm less concerned about scarcity than materials
>> which are of heavily used or which have demonstrated historical value.
>>
>> No one is talking "archival" here.
>>
>> If the items in question were available for purchase, we'd be buying
>> them
>> as replacement.  The alternative is to let the tapes crumble...something
>> that will certainly happen if we have to "work with the rights owners."
>>
>> "since the head of the project is against even contacting rights
>> holders"...who are you talking about?  You got the wrong project.  One
>> of
>> the main focuses of this study is to develop workflows and methods for
>> attempting to identify acquisition sources, including rights holders.
>>
>> Gary
>>

>>> Well my problem is the idea that transferring a VHS to DVD constitutes
>>> any kind of "preservation" or "archiving", beyond the "preservation"
>>> of a place being able to keep a copy of something that is not
>>> intrinsically rare or special. Is every person who copies their old
>>> VHS collection to DVD an archivist?  While I understand the
>>> frustration of something you use being unavailable is twisting a
>>> section of the law clearly meant for real preservation of genuinely
>>> rare materials not items that are out of print because in most cases
>>> the rights holders can't afford to put them out and of course if
>>> institutions just make copies of old VHS copies, they will never be
>>> released in a decent version. It is ironic that in trying to keep
>>> items "available" you will dramatically lesson the possibility that
>>> they will in fact become available in a real copy mastered from good
>>> materials. Not to mention that the only people who will ever  see them
>>> are institutions who bought copies when the VHS ( or DVD) was
>>> originally released.
>>>
>>> You might suggest that some of this energy be put to actually working
>>> with rights holders to get these rare items actually released, however
>>> since the head of the project is against even contacting rights

>>> 212-627-1785 (land line)