Well my problem is the idea that transferring a VHS to DVD constitutes
any kind of "preservation" or "archiving", beyond the "preservation"
of a place being able to keep a copy of something that is not
intrinsically rare or special. Is every person who copies their old
VHS collection to DVD an archivist?  While I understand the
frustration of something you use being unavailable is twisting a
section of the law clearly meant for real preservation of genuinely
rare materials not items that are out of print because in most cases
the rights holders can't afford to put them out and of course if
institutions just make copies of old VHS copies, they will never be
released in a decent version. It is ironic that in trying to keep
items "available" you will dramatically lesson the possibility that
they will in fact become available in a real copy mastered from good
materials. Not to mention that the only people who will ever  see them
are institutions who bought copies when the VHS ( or DVD) was
originally released.

You might suggest that some of this energy be put to actually working
with rights holders to get these rare items actually released, however
since the head of the project is against even contacting rights
holders I won't hold my breath.

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant
224-545-3897 (cell)