    Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 01:27:21 +0000
    From: "Karsten, Eileen"
    <kars...@mx.lakeforest.edu>
    Subject: [Videolib] PPR Question
    To: "Videolib (videolib@lists.berkeley.edu)"
    <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>

    Dear CW,

    Can people associated with a film waive paying PPR
    for a film for a public showing?  The events are
    not charging admission.  This question came up
    during a discussion with some other Librarians.
    Examples that were offered were:

    1.  A film producer brings his own DVD copy of a
    film that has not been released on DVD yet.  He is
    speaking at a public library.  Small indie film
    shown mostly at festivals.
    2.  A film director doing a series of workshops on
    campus uses the Library copies of his films.  He
    shows the films the night before the workshops.
    Feature films that had been seen in theaters.
    3. The subject of a documentary brings his own
    copy of the film.  He introduces the film and does
    a Q&A afterward.  Documentary had been shown on
    cable.

    One and three were not paid for their time, but
    two was paid.

    Some of the Librarians seemed to think it was all
    right.  Others thought that if Swank or somebody
    had the rights, they should have be contacted and
    paid.

    Eileen Karsten
    Lake Forest College

    >________________ >VIDEOLIB is intended to
    encourage the broad and lively discussion of
    issues relating to the selection, evaluation,
    acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation,
    and use of current and evolving video formats in
    libraries and related institutions. It is hoped
    that the list will serve as an effective working
    tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
    communication between libraries,educational
    institutions, and video producers and