From: gary jenkins
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2012 12:10 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] self distribution

I produced a film about slave life in Missouri. I once had a guy work off a
list of midwest and African American studies librarians (Richard Dill) and he
worked like crazy and he is a good sales guy who wants to get into the doc film
business. He did not sell one of my films about slave life and culture in
Missouri. I did have some unexplained sales on Amazon (7-8) during that time.

I sold my film on slave life to a local library and then did a film about the
Underground Railroad on the Missouri Kansas border that was of higher
production values. I submitted it to the same buyer and he did not buy it. When
I asked, he really did not have a reason, and advised this is a "tough
business."

He is right about that. When libraries buy from Amazon, the film producer gets
a very small royalty.

Gary Jenkins
www.lifedocumentaries.com
4442 Fairmount