Over the past couple of years, it has become part of my job to track down and
purchase streaming rights as needed for online and hybrid courses (or if there
is a strong pedagogical reason to do so in other cases).

Sometimes, I am able to secure an actual digital file from a vendor.  However,
sometimes, I am told I can rip it from the DVD myself so long as I have secured
the rights to do so.  Always, there is an understanding that our library does
this in a fairly limited way in credit bearing courses only and always in a
password protected environment.  In our case, we use Moodle and host videos
through Moodle via a Kaltura server (which allows us to set a beginning and end
date for the files we provide-another level of control to reassure vendors).

In the past, I've used Handbrake to produce the digital files (mp4) from the
DVDs and have had few-no issues.  However, lately, I am stymied every time and
in every conceivable setting I choose.  I feel like I am shooting in the dark
since I have no training in this.

My questions for the list are:

1.       What do you use to rip digital content from a dvd?

2.       Who does that work -librarian?  Student worker, etc?

3.       Who supports the process? I.e., does computing services on your campus
handle this?  Do you have someone you turn to when there is a problem?

4.       Have you had any training in this?  If so, from where?

Thanks for your input!

Rebecca

--
Rebecca Oling
Coordinator of Instruction and Literature Librarian