From: Jodie Borgerding
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:32 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Question about video games

I purchase video games for our library to support a video game design
certificate and degree emphasis. Our games do circulate outside the library for
three days and any student/faculty/staff can check them out regardless if they
are in the video game design classes or not. The circ stats are through the
roof and I’ve been working with the student run Video Game Club for suggestions
on titles to purchase.

We also turned one of our study rooms into a gaming room with PS2 and 3, Wii,
Xbox 260 and Nintento Game Cube. Anyone can use the room while the library is
open, bring their own controllers or games, or check out controllers from the
circulation desk. The controllers and accessories are not allowed to leave the
library.

I have not run into any licensing issues with the Playstation, Xbox or Wii
games. The only issues I have run into is with PC games. Typically the key code
to install and play PC games can only be used a finite number of times. Unless
the person uninstalls the program after each check out, then once those key
codes are used up, you can’t install or play the game. We’ve run into this
issue many times to the point where I no longer purchase PC games.

I had one faculty ask if we could purchase an Xbox game that was only available
via download. I think it was a Scott Pilgrim game that he wanted the students
to play for a comics class. I never got a chance to try this out because the
professor left the university before the course was offered. Oh well.

Feel free to email me off list if you have any other questions. Also this gives
me a chance to throw in my own shameless plug. I’m co-presenting a panel
session at ACRL on video games collections in academic libraries. I don’t know
the location, but it is Thursday morning at 10:30 am.

Jodie

Jodie L. Borgerding, M.L.S.

Instruction and Liaison Librarian

Emerson Library

Webster University

470 E. Lockwood

St. Louis, MO  63119

(314) 246-7819

jborgerdin...@webster.edu

http://libguides.webster.edu/soc

http://libguides.webster.edu/religion

http://libguides.webster.edu/zombies

“Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the
information he wants.”