From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2013 1:19 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Emails like this

Oh dear don't get me started. I  could go on forever and it might ruin Deg's
view that I want to squeeze poor libraries.
I assume you only want the video for circulation and use in the actual class (
as opposed to streaming, public viewing oh and making a copy for a
"researcher"). There is no such thing legally as "EDUCATIONAL USE". Any legal (
not pirate , not taped off air last year etc) can be used in a class under the
"face to face" exemption and anything can circulate under standard right of
first sale. Now companies can restrict use by contract but in order for that to
work they can't sell through third parties and they have to make the terms
clear at the point of sale ( more or less along the lines of " I have read and
agree to these conditions " type statement on a variety of sites. As a
practical matter you can't really have your cake and eat it too so if a
distributor decides to sell retail through third parties they can't control any
legal use.

I would politely respond that while you sympathize with the situation you
bought a legal copy and are legally entitled to own it , circulate it and use
it in a class.

The sad thing here is that I can practically guarantee the director BELIEVES
there is some legal prohibition against "home use " copies being bought by
libraries. I have spent a LONG time explaining this to one distributor I work
with who has been told by an educational sales person that schools must pay
more and this is for a collection of titles available from every standard
wholesale outlet. I recently showed them one of their films was in the
collection of 140 US libraries and did they think that all of these were
illegal? I suggested they start selling their titles directly to libraries who
do not not need additional rights at retail prices ( they do sell them with
streaming and PPR rights) I think the Worldcat listing may have done the trick
and they will now do this but again for whatever reason people sincerely
believe in some concept of needing special educational rights. Honestly I
consider it the flip side of institutions that think they have a special right
to copy and stream feature films for "educational use" . They are equally wrong.
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Mary Hanlin