Anthony,
As someone who works with a lot of indie documentary filmmakers I think
this is great but there is nothing unethical about buying a film from
Amazon for an academic library as long as it is for circulation, reserve
and in class use.
If a distributor decides to sell on Amazon and My Perestroika is up there
for $20 they can not expect a library to pay more. The rights holder has
chosen to go to a wider market and through third parties so they really
can't expect to enforce any special pricing for libraries. If they handle
all sales directly they can have multiple pricing by contract.

I think what really upsets librarians is wording that indicates it is
somehow illegal for a library to buy a title  off Amazon or another retail
source. They are falsely claiming there is some kind of special rights
needed for "educational use". I fully understand that there is a limited
market for many films aimed at the academic community but I don't think
rights holders can have their cake and eat it to by asking institutions to
pay a high price because the film has a limited market and yet sell it to
individuals at a fraction of that price through retail outlets like Amazon.

Again your support of the indie documentary world is MUCH appreciated but I
understand why many institutions can't follow it.