I have purchased porn in response to instructional requests (most of which
have come from our Gender and Women's Studies department).  I have even
repaired a pornographic VHS tape for an instructor.

Much like racist cartoons, Nazi propaganda and most reality TV, inclusion
of porn in the library collection should not be interpreted as a stamp of
approval on the content.  I recommend giving a courtesy head's up to your
acquisitions/tech services staff and be sure you are ready to respond,
citing intellectual freedom/instructional freedom, to any complainers.  You
might also consider letting whoever you report to know in advance, so they
are also prepared in case you do receive a complaint.  If you have viewing
stations, I would recommend working with your staff to identify the best
location to seat someone studying porn in order to reduce the likelihood of
catching a passerby off guard.

I had similar concerns to yours, but we have not had a single problem or
complaint-- and the weird suggestions on our amazon account cleared out
quickly :)

Gisele

Gisèle Tanasse

Head, Media Resources Center

150 Moffitt Library #6000
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
PH: 510-642-8197
BCAL: nerdpo...@berkeley.edu
NOTE: PART TIME SCHEDULE Monday-Thurs 8AM-2PM