Contract ( in this case Netflix terms of service) is always going to trump
copyright but it seems to me that depending on number of titles a student
would use in a semester or year it might make sense for schools to
encourage and possibly subsize membership. There is nothing wrong with a
instructor telling students to watch a film for class on their own account.

Not schilling for Netflix, I do not belong and have never streamed a film
but it seems like something work looking into at least for students in film
heavy courses

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Stanton, Kim <kim.stan...@unt.edu> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>

> Is there any consensus on the legality of faculty using their own person
> Netflix Streaming account in a face to face classroom situation. I have
> always assumed it was fine. Access was legally acquired and would fall
> under 110(1).
>

> Another support department on my campus is saying, no, it’s not legal
> because Netflix’s terms of service trump 110. They are coming to this
> conclusion based on advice from an inhouse article
> <http://www.library.unt.edu/news/may-one-stream-netflix-video-class-use>
> written by our Scholarly Communications Librarian.  I never saw eye to eye
> with this librarian on media related copyright issues, his interpretations
> do not necessarily reflect those of the  campus legal office AND he
> recently left the university.  So I’m trying to find something  else solid
> that addresses this issue.
>

> I flipped back through Ciara Healy’s Library Trends article, but it
> doesn’t seem to address the copyright issue. Can anyone point me to
> something?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Kim
>

> Kim Stanton