Lorraine it would really depend on if you purchased VHS/DVD that came with
contractual restrictions and certainly some films were sold with the
agreement that they not circulate. I would suspect that these were almost
exclusively non fiction works but only way to know would be the original
sales agreement. Circulating legally purchased films would normally be
considered part of the "right of first sale" which allows stores,
libraries, Netflix to loan or rent them but a contractual agreement would
supersede that.

Also if a film were purchased with PPR rights those rights are almost
always limited to the purchasing institution. Back in stone ages when I did
some PPR sales, the titles could be loaned but never for public showings
but each company has/had different contracts

Good luck

Jessica