Rob MacKillop wrote:

>That is a beautiful instrument, Stuart. I would LOVE to a have a copy. It
>was on the cover of Early Music magazine some months ago. I fell in love
>with it then. Alexander Batov considered making a copy, but I don't have the
>cash. BTW, Alexander is a viol maker also. I would like one of those too!
>
>Rob
>

>>http://www.anselmus.ch/images/icon_dai_libri.jpg

Yes, I think it's a very striking instrument. Maybe this is a daft
question (gven that it's some sort of allegorical painting) but I wonder
how big you think the thing is?
The modern reproduction looks like a  G- or maybe  A-tuned  instrument.
But Giralamo's instrument in the painting looks much smaller.

Here's the painting:

http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_Art/viewOnezoom.asp?dep=11&zoomFlag=0&viewmode=1&item=20%2E92

Looks more like a treble instrument, do you think, and that's part of
its attractiveness?