--- Howard Posner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nobody here has said that the charango doesn't have
> historical
> validity, although we do have one crank on the list
> who seems to have
> such a low opinion of the charango's position in the
> musical world that
> he keeps insisting that it's the "vihuela" that
> Mudarra and Milan wrote
> for.

i would never suggest such a thing.  i never have.
the charango is "a" vihuela, one of ... who knows how
many ... 4c. and 5c. variations on the way to being
its acknowledged but ill-defined, historical self.  it
is not "the" vihuela which so impedes your senses to
the extent you are incapable of recognizing any other.

crank? ... pummeling the baroque guitar supporters?
.. wuffing up the renaissance guitar list? ... crank,
(something) and wanton wiles? ...

calm down.

- bill

"and thus i made...a small vihuela from the shell of a creepy crawly..." - Don
Gonzalo de Guerrero (1512), "Historias de la Conquista del Mayab" by Fra Joseph
of San Buenaventura.  go to:  http://www.charango.cl/paginas/quieninvento.htm