Yes - this is a bit of a vexed question. I suspect that in the 16th/17th century players did create their own versions and elaborations - especially when many of the pieces are very short and last less than a minute.

The problem today perhaps is that not all players are inspired enough to do this well.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eugene C. Braig IV" <brai...@osu.edu> To: "'List LUTELIST'" <l...@cs.dartmouth.edu>; "'Vihuelalist'" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 4:39 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Four c. guitar

Such improvised indulgences seem to me to find home amongst a greater
proportion of 4- and 5-course guitarists (Lonardi, Lislevand, Ferries, etc.) than lutenists or players of modern classical or early 6-string guitars. I wonder why that is. Sometimes it sounds quite nice, but is sometimes a bit
distracting.

Eugene