Dear List,

   Thank you for the kind words and encouragement for my CD and videos!

   Yes, I agree improvised embellishment has to do with the genre and
   function of the music, and only makes sense in historically
   well-informed contexts.

   For instance, I wouldn't feel comfortable embellishing most fantasies,
   other than an occasional cadential emphasis or strummed flourish.

   But in regard to those scalar diminutions in many of Le Roy's dances
   that we discussed on this list some months back: I hear those as
   suggested embellishments; the player has many options in those
   passages.

   As for accompaniment: I arranged much of my accompaniment to the songs
   on my CD. I did most of them both as written and also arranged, in
   different verses. In fact, I was still arranging when we recorded, in
   short 10-minute breaks for instance with my pencil and tab, and
   sometimes I even tried new things as we recorded. (Very exciting when
   your singer only has a few hours to record with you before her flight
   home.)

   The written 4-course guitar parts in the songbooks published in
   mid-16th century France have been the subject of some discussion: were
   they meant to be played as written with the singer even though the
   guitar parts have the entire melody? Or was the guitar part only for
   guitar solo and if the singer takes the melody, should the guitarist
   let the singer have it and do something else? I discuss this in my CD
   notes.

   Best,
   Jocelyn
   --