Thanks Eloy.

Your comment got me to pull out Rogerio Budasz's dissertation :The Five-Course Guitar (Viola) in Portugal and Brazil...".

He has several paragraphs on the Capona and Mariona, including an excerpt from two plays which both fit your reference to the play on words, one suggesting the names chacona and capona were closely connected.

Budasz speculates that a regulation from 1615 which forbid certain "bailes" including the chaconas and zarabandas, may have led to renaming some dances in order to escape punishment.

He believes Piccinini's posthumous 1639 book contains 2 types of ciaccona: a chiaccona mariona alla vera Spagnola, and a chiaccona cappona alla vera Spagnola, the former somtimes called simply mariona in other sources, and structured around variations on the borrowed ciaccona harmonic progression. (And mostly in C major / 5o tono)

Piccinini's chiaccona cappona corresponds to capone by Kapsberger, Carbonchi, and the De Gallot guitar manuscript. These show a preference for D and G major, and a strong rhythmic drive, "stressed by the bass line and the dactyl rhythmic figuration". Budasz thinks it possible that Piccinini or his brothers may have introduced the capona and mariona to Italy due to family ties to Spain.

The Portuguese manuscripts which Budasz worked with includes one mariona-type capona, one so-called Spanish capona, and three others which "do not fit easily in any of these groups, being most likely a later development".

The only surviving Iberian musical setting are in the Coimbra codex and generally follow either a I IV(or vi) V I or I V6 vi IV IV V scheme.

I have added the score "Capona Espagnola" from the De Gallot Ms to my Ning page. (I tried to also upload one by Valdambrini, but Ning seems to be stubborn tonight.)

-- R