Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Capona?

How interesting. Any idea what:

"of very bad circumstances"

might mean? Or is it just meant to be suggestive of what 'decent' people would not do. Or something to do with eunuchs?

It does indeed have something to do with eunuchs! As I understand it "Capona" refers to a capon and therefore to castratos. The rhythm and dance steps are supposed to reflect the mincing steps of same.

Monica

El [FECHA], "[NOMBRE]"<[DIRECCION]>  escribió:

    Hi Stuart,

I don't know what capona means, and I don't have the music handy, but I
    enjoyed this. I like your tempo.

    Best,

    Jocelyn

    From: Stuart Walsh<[1]s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
    Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 20:14:31 +0000
    To: Vihuelalist<[2]vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
    Subject: [VIHUELA] Capona?

    Timo Peedu has edited some Carbonchi pieces (to be found on his ning
    early guitar page). Included are two short and simple but unusual
    pieces
    with the title 'Capona'.
    There are a couple of versions of a very fancy Capona by Kapsberger
    (including one by Rob Mackillop).
    Any ideas what Capona means?
Here is a go at the simple ones by Carbonchi. If I have misunderstood the timing or the way it should be played, I'd like to know (preferably
    in a polite way!)
    [3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUfrieijW5I
    Stuart