I've had enough of this. No comment.
Lex

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] Namens M
Hall
Verzonden: donderdag 21 januari 2016 11:37
Aan: 'Lex Eisenhardt'
CC: Vihuela List
Onderwerp: [VIHUELA] Re: Corbetta's dissonance

Lex wrote - "PS. The theories presented in Monica's on-line article did not
convince me.
So I didn't use it for the text. That was the main reason not to include it
in the Bibliography. However, there are several other of her articles listed
there".

This is anl example of Lex's disingeniousness.

He has not refrained from quoting and commenting on other things which I and
other people have said with which he disagrees and which he does not find
convincing.  Indeed most of the book consists of his doing just that!

On p. 100 he has said  "the subject (Corbetta's dissonance) has not yet
received much attention".   This is  not true. He is well aware  that Lute
(2007) includes my article which runs to 20 pages with 20 examples of
dissonance in Corbetta's music and his contemporaries and has read it.

He has commented on things which I have said in the article. I can quote
passages from the book if necessary.

He may not be convinced by what I have said, but he is afraid that other
people may be (indeed are!). He has deliberately suppressed any information
which highlights the flaws in his theory.
His claim that his book includes a more balanced picture of the issue is
specious.

The main point which I have made in the article is that most of the
dissonant chords are actually standard alfabeto chords with one course left
unfretted.  This simplifies the left hand fingering so that ornaments and
passing notes can be played which creates a pleasing ambiguity.   This is in
line with the practice of lettere tagliate found in the earlier battuto
books of Millioni, Ricci etc. with which Lex seems unfamiliar.

I have also pointed out that the Gallot manuscript was copied in the 1660s -
before Corbetta's "La guitarre royale" appeared in print.  It includes only
6 pieces from this book which Gallot must have obtained from a different
source.   Pinnell does not seem to have been aware of this but  Lex
certainly is.