Thanks for the explanations!

It would be really nice to have a directory somewhere where
one could put pngs that correspond to one's Garmin custom
waypoint symbols (Custom 1, Custom 2, etc.) and have those
show up automatically for each waypoint with a
corresponding "sym" tag in it.

Thanks for your help!

        Harry McGavran

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 10:12:32 +0200 Guilhem Bonnefille wrote:
--- Begin Message ---
2011/6/7 Robert Norris <rw_nor...@hotmail.com>:
>> I've been playing with trying to get Garmin symbols
>> between my Garmin 60CSx and Viking 1.2.
>>
>> Normally I dowload gpx files with gpsbabel from the Garmin
>> in file them on my computer. Later with Viking I load
>> those files (and maps). Viking has never displayed the symbols,
>> but playing around with 1.2 in the waypoint sub layers is a dialog
>> for selecting the symbol. The symbols shown are the same ones
>> to choose from whether or not I've just loaded the gpx file OR
>> I've used Viking to download the GPS layer from my GPS and
>> the type is "garmin" in that dialog box.
>>
>> Yet, when I peruse the source, the images for the the Garmin GPSs
>> seem to be there, but they do NOT show up in the above dialog.
>> My symbols for most of my waypoints is the Blue Flag and that symbol
>> is in the source, but never shows up in the display of symbols to choose
>> from. I would think since the "show symbols" box is checked that
>> Viking would look up "Flag, Blue" and notice it was a garmin symbol
>> and just display it -- so I must be doing something wrong.
>>
>> Suggestions????
>>

> Viking has two sets of icons, 'Small' & 'Large' - which one can select via
> the global preferences 'Use large waypoint icons'
>
> Unfortunately the graphics of each set is not complete, so for some
> combinations - such as in your case of
> 'Small' and Blue Flag - there is no icon available and so it falls back to
> just drawing a dot.
>
> Perhaps one day I'll generate a corresponding large/small icon for the ones
> where we have only one of them. This should be quite quick and easy.
> I suppose this really should be done for flag/pin/block icons as these tend
> to be the default garmin icons.

I have a long living idea in my TODO list about icons:
reuse/extend/contribute a prepackaged set of icons.
OpenStreetMap project provides such a set:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Icons
And they are already packaged (at least for Debian):
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=openstreetmap&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

A sister project already use these icons: GPSDrive. Here is an overview:
http://www.gpsdrive.de/development/map-icons/overview.en.shtml

--
Guilhem BONNEFILLE
-=- JID: gu...@im.apinc.org MSN: guilhem_bonnefi...@hotmail.com