> From: g...@ir.bbn.com
> To: matthewha...@zoho.com
> CC: rw_nor...@hotmail.com; viking-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Viking-devel] Proposed Minor Features
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 11:04:39 -0400
>

> My leaning is that while having a tile sources list on the wiki is
> great, the builtin set should be curated to be a good set for most
> people. So that definitely means pruning ones that don't work, but also
> being judicious about what to add. It might be reasonable to have the 5
> layers that openstreetmap.org has. Adding lonvia's hike/bike maps would
> be sensible too, as they seem to be of general interest. But I wonder
> if we should be inquiring of these places first.

I've updated the master code to report failing Tile (& DEM) downloads.

I will remove the failing built in maps soon and failing maps.xml entries.

A deeper question is how maps.xml extension file is distributed, since Viking
doesn't directly control this, although the
data/maps.xml is designed to be installed into /usr/share/viking or whatever
the path is.

Note the Window's install doesn't do anything about it.

ATM The maps.xml file could change rapidly but it probably won't be picked up
by users until the next formal Viking release.

I think anything added into data/maps.xml file should have
explicit permission.

NB Lonvia's maps tiles base URLs are:http://tile.waymarkedtrails.org/skating/
http://tile.waymarkedtrails.org/mtb/
http://tile.waymarkedtrails.org/cycling/