OK, restart, I think I now see a pattern in this.  I completely
removed and re-installed vile from the Ubuntu repositories on esprimo
and it is now working correctly there.  I had modified it there
because of the issue a while ago with UTF8 characters.  So the table
is now as follows:-

    backup      xubuntu 22.10   vile 9.8w       colour OK, but not right
    bison       Android 11      vile 9.8w       colour OK, but not right
    caracal     Debian 10       vile 9.8        no colour syntax
    cheddar     Debian 10       vile 9.8t       colour OK
    esprimo     xubuntu 22.04   vile 9.8v       colour OK
    isbd        Ubuntu 20.04    vile 9.8t       colour OK
    odin        Debian 9        vile 9.8s       colour OK
    pimedia     Debian 11       vile 9.8u       colour OK
    t470        xubuntu 22.10   vile 9.8w       colour OK, but not right
    tsohost     very old        vile 9.8        no colour syntax

This makes *much* more sense! :-)  The systems with versions older
than vile9.8w do syntax highlighting OK.  The two systems where I
built vile myself and installed as a user (no root access) don't do
syntax highlighting but thati's almost certainly something I have
missed out in the build and it's not so important there anyway.

So, the question is why the syntax highlighting of vilemode for
version 9.8w is messed up.  It's not badly wrong, it gets the colour
of comments right throughout but gets confused about keyword colours
and within some 'map' settings.  As far as I can see on other file
types (shell scripts, python, C) version 9.8w gets the highlighting
correct so it does look like just an error in the vilemode
highlighting.

Has the vile-filt-filt file changed between 9.8v and 9.8w?

--
Chris Green