On 04.01.23 12:22, Chris Green wrote:
On Wed, Jan 04, 2023 at 11:15:24AM +0100, joerg van den hoff wrote:
happy long time vile user here: I have used vile for a long time under
OSX and compiles always "just
worked".

now, I have tried to compile it under OpenSuse linux on an old laptop I
have started playing around
with, but no luck. I get lot's of

undefined reference to `tputs'

and similar errors (referring to `tgoto', `tgetent', `tgetflag', `tgenum'
etc.) and compile fails.
the executed `./configure' run did not show any obvious problems.

since I am a) totally new to OpenSuse and b) not into C programming I am
at a loss where to look to
find out which library or header file is missing (which I guess is the issue
here?). I guessed at
"termcap" and installed that package but that didn't help.

any advice would be appreciated :).

The way I do it on Linux is to install the libncurses-dev package and
then './configure --with-ncurses'.

thank you, but no luck:

* no "-dev" package on opensuse

* but there _is_ a /lib64/libncurses.so.6 already installed

* ./configure --with-ncurses errors out with:

.
.
.
checking for screen type... termcap
checking if you want to use ncurses... yes
Looking for ncurses-config
checking for ncurses6-config... no
checking for ncurses5-config... no
checking for ncurses header in include-path... no
checking for ncurses include-path... configure: error: not found

same happens if `--with-curses-dir=/lib64' is specified.

as said, bare-bones ./configure runs to completion but then the make fails with the stated 'undefined reference' errors. I now have filtered out all `configure' messages appearing on stderr:

configure: WARNING: Your lex program does not support POSIX %pointer.  Get flex.
configure: WARNING: Your lex program does not support POSIX character classes.
Get flex.
configure: WARNING: Your lex program does not support POSIX options.  Get flex.
configure: WARNING: disabling build for lex-filters
configure: WARNING: Cannot find -ltermlib, -lcurses, or -ltermcap

apart from the flex issue (went indeed away after installing it ;)): I don't understand why none of those 3 libs is found:

* termlib indeed seems not available as an opensuse package

* but I do have /lib64/libncurses.so.6 and even setting LDLFAGS=-L/lib64 did
not change anything

* I also do have /usr/lib64/libtermcap.so.2 (which I manually installed yesterday in a first attempt to make `configure' happy).

simple, stupid question: what am I missing?