On 04.01.23 15:50, Chris Green wrote:
On Wed, Jan 04, 2023 at 03:16:44PM +0100, joerg van den hoff wrote:

If you don't have a [f]lex that vile likes you won't be able to build
built-in syntax filters.

understood. that one I had fixed by installing flex individually.

again, thanks a lot for your help! I can now active `alias vi=vile' and
EDITOR=vile in my .kshrc and
be happy again.

Excellent, I'm glad it all worked out.

If you investigate 'alternatives' (man update-alternatives) you can
make vile your vi for everyone and everything, including root.  It's
handy for root at least so that you get vile when editing config files
and such in /etc.

I will have to look into this, thank you (linux userland and customs really are
somewhat
different from osx/bsd :)).