On Wed, Jan 04, 2023 at 02:15:54PM +0100, joerg van den hoff wrote:

> On 04.01.23 12:22, Chris Green wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 04, 2023 at 11:15:24AM +0100, joerg van den hoff wrote:
> >> happy long time vile user here: I have used vile for a long time under
> >> OSX and compiles always "just
> >> worked".
> >>
> >> now, I have tried to compile it under OpenSuse linux on an old laptop I
> >> have started playing around
> >> with, but no luck. I get lot's of
> >>
> >> undefined reference to `tputs'
> >>
> >> and similar errors (referring to `tgoto', `tgetent', `tgetflag', `tgenum'
> >> etc.) and compile fails.
> >> the executed `./configure' run did not show any obvious problems.
> >>
> >> since I am a) totally new to OpenSuse and b) not into C programming I am
> >> at a loss where to look to
> >> find out which library or header file is missing (which I guess is the
> issue here?). I guessed at
> >> "termcap" and installed that package but that didn't help.
> >>
> >> any advice would be appreciated :).
> >>
> > The way I do it on Linux is to install the libncurses-dev package and
> > then './configure --with-ncurses'.
>
> thank you, but no luck:
>
> * no "-dev" package on opensuse
>
> * but there _is_ a /lib64/libncurses.so.6 already installed
>
> * ./configure --with-ncurses errors out with:

Yes, that's as expected, you need whatever opensuse calls the -dev
package as that has the header files etc. that are bing looked for.

I did a quick search and it would appear that opensuse uses a
different way to handle installing development resources, see:-

    https://www.osradar.com/install-development-build-tools-opensuse/

You could alternatively build ncurses yourself  (see below)
> .
> .
> .
> checking for screen type... termcap
> checking if you want to use ncurses... yes
> Looking for ncurses-config
> checking for ncurses6-config... no
> checking for ncurses5-config... no
> checking for ncurses header in include-path... no
> checking for ncurses include-path... configure: error: not found
>

> same happens if `--with-curses-dir=/lib64' is specified.
>
> as said, bare-bones ./configure runs to completion but then the make fails
> with the stated
> 'undefined reference' errors. I now have filtered out all `configure'
> messages
> appearing on stderr:
>
> configure: WARNING: Your lex program does not support POSIX %pointer.  Get
> flex.
> configure: WARNING: Your lex program does not support POSIX character
> classes.  Get flex.
> configure: WARNING: Your lex program does not support POSIX options.  Get
> flex.
> configure: WARNING: disabling build for lex-filters
> configure: WARNING: Cannot find -ltermlib, -lcurses, or -ltermcap
>
> apart from the flex issue (went indeed away after installing it ;)): I
> don't understand why none of
> those 3 libs is found:
>
> * termlib indeed seems not available as an opensuse package
>
> * but I do have /lib64/libncurses.so.6 and even setting LDLFAGS=-L/lib64 did
> not change anything
>
> * I also do have /usr/lib64/libtermcap.so.2 (which I manually installed

You can download .tgz files for reflex and ncurses from the vile web
site at invisible island.  I've done this on a couple of systems where
I don't have root access and have build them with '--prefix=$HOME',
then tell vile's ./comfigure where to find them and you're done.

If you don't have a [f]lex that vile likes you won't be able to build
built-in syntax filters.

--
Chris Green