On 2006-10-06, Peter Hodge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > BTW, using
> >
> >     gvim -u NONE -U NONE
> >
> > is both redundant (in the case of -U NONE), dangerous (since
> > default settings may truncate your viminfo on exit), and put
> > you in vi compatible mode.  Better is:
> >
> >     gvim -u NONE -i NONE -N
> >

> I wouldn't think the -i option is necessary, because 'viminfo' is
> empty by default anyway.  Perhaps there should be a shell script
> distributed with vim so that anyone can start up vim cleanly.
>
>   cleanvim.sh:
>     vim -u NONE -i NONE -N --noplugin --cmd 'set rtp=$VIMRUNTIME' '+set rtp&'
>
>   cleanvim.bat:
>     gvim.exe -u NONE -i NONE -N --noplugin --cmd "set rtp=$VIMRUNTIME" "+set
> rtp&"

Setting "-u NONE -i NONE -N" is all that's needed.  See ":help -u".

    When {vimrc} is equal to "NONE" (all uppercase), all
    initializations from files and environment variables are
    skipped, including reading the |gvimrc| file when the GUI
    starts.  Loading plugins is also skipped.

The viminfo file may be empty initially, but it probably is not once
vim has been run.

Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     | Wireless Division