On Thu 5-Oct-06 8:54pm -0600, Gary Johnson wrote:

> On 2006-10-06, Peter Hodge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > BTW, using
>> >
>> >     gvim -u NONE -U NONE
>> >
>> > is both redundant (in the case of -U NONE), dangerous (since
>> > default settings may truncate your viminfo on exit), and put
>> > you in vi compatible mode.  Better is:
>> >
>> >     gvim -u NONE -i NONE -N
>> >

>> I wouldn't think the -i option is necessary, because 'viminfo' is
>> empty by default anyway.  Perhaps there should be a shell script
>> distributed with vim so that anyone can start up vim cleanly.
>>
>>   cleanvim.sh:
>>     vim -u NONE -i NONE -N --noplugin --cmd 'set rtp=$VIMRUNTIME' '+set rtp&'
>>
>>   cleanvim.bat:
>>     gvim.exe -u NONE -i NONE -N --noplugin --cmd "set rtp=$VIMRUNTIME" "+set
>> rtp&"
>
> Setting "-u NONE -i NONE -N" is all that's needed.  See ":help -u".
>
>     When {vimrc} is equal to "NONE" (all uppercase), all
>     initializations from files and environment variables are
>     skipped, including reading the |gvimrc| file when the GUI
>     starts.  Loading plugins is also skipped.
>
> The viminfo file may be empty initially, but it probably is not once
> vim has been run.

Gary, the reason I use and suggested

   --cmd "se rtp=$VIMRUNTIME"

is to prevent customizations such as adding all of your
colorschemes, compilers, etc. in the Gvim menus, custom
icons, etc.  --cmd happens before menu.vim is sourced.

The reason I use:

    "+se rtp&"

is to have 'rtp' set as by default but without the side
effects mentioned above.

    :h startup

For "fun" start with the above but without the --cmd above
but add -V99nocmd.  Then include the --cmd above and with
-V99wcmd.  Finally do a vimdiff on nocmd and wcmd.

--
Best regards,
Bill