On Fri 6-Oct-06 12:38pm -0600, Yakov Lerner wrote:

>> > Setting "-u NONE -i NONE -N" is all that's needed.  See ":help -u".

> I never noticed that 'vim -u NONE' ever read the .viminfo ?

It doesn't, you're in 'cp' mode and 'viminfo' is empty.

> For example, if I set 'set nocp' in 'vim -u NONE' then I don't
> see any command history that I'd see had .viminfo been read in.

That's the problem.  As soon as you change to 'nocp' mode,
'viminfo' is populated.  When you close, the viminfo file is
overwritten.

> Do you see any difference between  'vim -u NONE'  and  'vi -u NONE -i' ?

(Assuming the second is 'vim -u NONE -i NONE'.)

Both come up in compatibility "mode."  If that is changed to
'nocp' during the session, the chance of overwriting an
existing viminfo file is greatly reduced by the second
approach.

--
Best regards,
Bill