On 10/23/06, Mikolaj Machowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dnia poniedziałek, 23 października 2006 16:25, Nikolai Weibull napisał:

I'll take your word for it that that means that I wrote something at
some time or other.

> There should really be a third, optional, parameter to escape() where
> you can specify what character to use for escaping.

That wouldn't be real solution because to escape ' you still (in most
situations) would need two escape() calls. One for escape ' with ' and
second for rest of characters with \. The best solution is providing
info about context.

I don't follow.  When would you need to escape both ' with '' and
other characters with \?  The only "active" character in a
single-quoted string is the single-quote itself.

Oh, I see.  You're thinking of creating a string for passing to
substitute() inside an :execute, or something like that.  Ah, true,
then you'd need to escape the single-quotes for the string, and, e.g.,
"." with "\.".  Escaping is a lot more difficult than one often
thinks, I suppose.

 nikolai