Mikołaj Machowski wrote:
I won't say more now. If Bram feels that improved defaults would be
worth investigating, a discussion here would probably be best.
OTOH people who dream in Vim script may not be the best source of
ideas on how Vim should be configured to win new converts.

I suppose this apply for me also ;), but:

1. Persistence of search highlighting is IMO good thing.
2. Star behaviour of keys much depends on packager. If Vim starts in compatible
mode there is nothing which can be done. In nocompatible mode everything works
as newbie can expect. AFAIR on Win32 default Vim mode is nocompatible, on Linux
distributions it depends on packager but I think apart from redhattish
vim-minimal for admin purposes everywhere is nocompatible.

m.

Ania - Kilka historii na ten sam temat - trasa koncertowa:
Wrocław, Zielona Góra, Warszawa, Ełk, Lublin... Sprawdź:
Sprawdź:http://klik.wp.pl/?adr=http%3A%2F%2Fadv.reklama.wp.pl%2Fas%2Fbytom.html&sid=993

Vim defaults to 'compatible' mode everywhere, except where it finds a "user" _vimrc or .vimrc (system vimrc doesn't count).

I personally recommend to create the following as $HOME/_vimrc (or $HOME/.vimrc) immediately after first installation, and to add tweaks as one gets going:

<quote>
runtime vimrc_example.vim
</quote>

Bram says it's better to _copy_ the vimrc_example rather than _source_ (or ":runtime") it. My personal opinion is that the vimrc_example will give headaches if one tries to understand it "too soon", and that leaving it unmodified (with user tweaks in a different, hopefully simpler and smaller, file) keeps things more orderly. It's always possible (and educational) to use

        :view $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim

when one feels relaxed and curious.

Changes to the menu/messages language should go before invoking the vimrc_example; most any other tweaks should go after it.

Best regards,
Tony.