On 1/19/07, John Beckett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

One problem was how search highlighting is persistent (which is
great), but it is very distracting to some people when you want to
turn your attention to another issue. Telling him how to map a key
to do ':nohl' is just unnecessary mumbo jumbo.

Which, presumably, is why 'hlsearch' is off by default.  If you don't
want to tell him about :nohl, then it doesn't make sense to enable
'hlsearch'.

Perhaps a better way is to leave 'hlsearch' off and provide a binding
that toggles it on and off.  That way you don't get the "distracting"
highlighting until you actually request it.

Actually, I'm going to try that out, because I find myself always
following a search command  with a ',h', which is what I have :nohl
bound to.

 nikolai